“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” nelson mandela.
The MFL department at All Saints Academy is to raise awareness of and develop a love of language and culture. Students will study the Spanish language and learn about the culture in Spain as well as other Spanish speaking countries in South America. Students will learn how to become confident communicators in Spanish using all four skills, speaking, listening, reading and writing and develop a deep appreciation of the vibrancy of Spanish culture.
Key Stage 3 assessments will build upon prior learning and will include vocabulary from all topics that have been taught. For example, the spring 2 assessment in year 7 will include vocabulary from the autumn term, presenting myself and family and friends.
Key Stage 4 assessments will be full GCSE papers at either foundation or higher tier depending on the ability of the student.
GCSE Spanish Exam
Course: AQA Spanish GCSE 8698
Cohort: Summer 2024 and Summer 2025
Paper 1 – Listening 25%
Foundation Tier – 35 minutes Higher Tier – 45 minutes
- Section A – questions and answers in English
- Section B – questions and answers in Spanish
Paper 2 – Speaking 25%
Foundation Tier 7-9 minutes Higher Tier 9-12 minutes
- Role Play
- Photo Card
Paper 3 – Reading 25%
Foundation 45 minutes Higher Tier 1 hour
- Section A – Questions and answers in English
- Section B - Questions and answers in Spanish
- Section C – Translation Spanish to English
Paper 4 – Writing 25%
Foundation Tier - 1 hour Higher Tier - 1 hour 15 minutes
- Write answers to questions on a given theme.
- Translations from English to Spanish.
Cultural Capital Opportunities
- Movie night
- Spanish cookery lesson
- Careers with languages workshop
- Cultural lessons focussing on traditional festivals and celebrations.
- Become a Language Ambassador
- Research project on Spanish health care / schools.
Spanish Paella Cooking and Tasting
Hi I'm Ella. I wanted to be the senior prefect of MFL because I have always had a great passion for languages. I wanted to share this and encourage the students to develop their knowledge of other languages and cultures. I would like to help our students achieve high grades in Spanish and support them in their learning about the language and culture in Spain.
Websites used in MFL:
- Homework is set weekly using Languagenut. Students passwords are all available in the files section in their class team.
- We use the following websites to support learning and encourage independent learning.